Friday, April 16, 2004

If it ain't broke...

As you can see, I've made a few changes to this page, along with a few to my Official Website. I hope you like the new colors on this page, because I will not change them again! Let me explain...

You may have noticed that most of my posts appear on this site on Fridays. The reason for this is simple: Fridays are the days at my place of employment when I have the least amount of work to do, and the most access to the computer. On a usual Friday, I get finished up with my work for the week by noon, so I have a little time in the afternoon to check email, update my website, or post my thoughts here. With 2 small children at home, I have trouble getting to the computer until late at night (like right now, while I'm typing this), so I'm thankful for any spare time I can get during the day to catch up on all my computer stuff.

Anyway, as is my practice, today I decided I would work a little on my website, which I did, finally getting some new pictures up of my girls. Once this was done, I thought I'd check out a few blogs and maybe work a little bit on this one. After looking at several other blogs, then my own, I realized that I just didn't like the way mine looked. I felt like everyone else's blogs looked so much better than mine. I've never really liked the color scheme of my blog so I decided that a different template would work out nicely.

You know, I sure do wish I had paid attention to the fact that when you switch templates on a blog, any alterations you made to that blog's structure (like links, comments, etc.) get deleted! All of the sudden, without realizing what I had done, I was looking at my blog with no links, no reader comments, and smaller headlines for all of my entries. I couldn't believe it! What have I done?!?!

Thankfully, I was able to get things back under control, but it took a LOT of typing in code before I had the links back the way I wanted them. Now everything is back to normal, except for the new color scheme, which I really like.

I guess the moral of this story is this: When everything is going great, don't try to change it. Or, to coin an old phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" More importantly, to put this in a spiritual perspective, I learned today what can happen when I start focusing on what everyone else is doing instead of what I'm doing. Did you notice that it was only after I looked at everyone else's blogs that I decided to change mine? In my effort to "keep up with the Joneses", I lost my focus and ended up making everything worse.

I'm so glad that God isn't like that, aren't you? He doesn't compare us to each other. He just loves us for who we are, regardless of our "color schemes"! And even after we mess everything up (like I did today), he picks us up, dusts us off, and points us in the right direction. What an amazing God we have!

I just thought this was worth sharing. What started out as a simple cosmetic change to a webpage turned into a lesson about God's grace. Go figure.

By the way, for you fellow bloggers who are reading this: NICE BLOG! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Enjoy the new colors!
--Eric G.
|