Friday, March 12, 2004

Discovering the joy of fasting

The joy of fasting? I don't know about you, but I've always thought of fasting as something that is painful. I mean, really...Going for a long period of time without food? Are you kidding?

Apparently, Jesus wasn't kidding:

"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full." (Matthew 6:16)

Notice his wording? He doesn't say "If you fast...", he says "When you fast..."

In my own personal study, I have recently been reading a book called God's Chosen Fast, which examines this idea of fasting. While reading this book and examining the scriptures, I have found that fasting is not just some old custom from long ago, but something that ranks right up there with praying, singing praises, and reading God's word. So I decided to try it this week.

Once I got past the initial hunger pangs, I discovered that there is joy in fasting. By abstaining from food, I was able to fill my time with something more worthwhile, like praying and studying the scriptures. I feel like my relationship with God has really grown this week, thanks in part to fasting.

I just wanted to share these thoughts with you.

SOLI DEO GLORIA! (To God alone be the Glory!)

--Eric G.
|