Thursday, April 26, 2007

Studio Update: Home

Over last weekend, I spent some time working on 3 new songs: You Are Worthy (which I talked about in a previous post), Cross the Line, and Home. Cross the Line is a song that I began near the end of this week’s sessions, so I’ll talk more about it later. The majority of my work last weekend was on the song, Home.

I have always been fascinated by Jesus’ parable of The Prodigal Son (found in Luke 15). There are many lessons that can be learned from the story, not the least of which is the fact that God is a loving Father who longs to be with us. Even when we try to run away from him, he still stands and waits patiently for us to come back, regardless of where we’ve been and what we’ve done. What an AWESOME GOD!

Anyway, this parable was the initial inspiration for this new song. As has become my practice lately, I tried to write lyrics that could describe 2 situations: God longing for us to come back, OR the rekindling of a relationship between 2 people. How you hear the song really depends on what you might be going through when you hear it (or, in this case, read it.):

Home

You went as far as you thought you could go,
But you find you’ve been chasing the wind.
You went after things that you thought were real.
Now these things have come to an end.
I tried my best to get you to stay,
But you didn’t want to listen to me.
You wanted to go your own way,
But that way didn’t set you free.

It only bound you tighter than you were before.
Now I wait for you to knock on my door.
You know you always have a place here.
I’m just waiting for you to come…

Back home where you belong.
With me, like you never were gone.
I don’t care what you’ve done.
What matters most is that you’ve come
Back home, safe and sound.
Set free, no longer bound.
I want you back around.
The lost should be found.
Please, won’t you come back home.

I told you my door is always open,
And you always have a place with me.
I’ve been watching for you to come back,
Because this is where you’re meant to be.
When you walk through that door, we’ll celebrate,
Because you’ve come back to be with me.
You know you always have a place here.
I’m glad you’ve made the choice to come…

Back home where you belong.
You’re with me, like you never were gone.
I don’t care what you’ve done.
What matters most is that you’ve come
Back home, safe and sound.
You’re set free, no longer bound.
I’m so glad you’re back around.
The lost now is found.
I’m so happy that you’ve come back home.

There will be a few more lyric lines for this song, but they haven’t been written yet. There is a really good possibility that this will be the title song for the next CD, but that decision is not final just yet.

So, I’m curious to know what you might think of the lyrics. Did I get the point across? PLEASE leave me a comment and let me know!

Until next time, God Bless!

--Eric G.
|