Monday, March 19, 2007

Practicing the Presence of God

“At any moment and in any circumstance, the soul that seeks God may find him, and practice the presence of God.”—Brother Lawrence

The above quote is from a book that I just finished reading, entitled The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence. It is considered one of the “classics of Christian Literature”, but I had never heard of it until last year when someone gave me this little book as a gift. Now that I have read it, I have come to understand why the book has been held in such high regard.

Brother Lawrence was a seventeenth-century French monk who learned, through many years of practice, to enjoy a closeness with God that was greater than any of his personal earthly relationships. This book is a collection of documented conversations and letters that reveal his humble heart, and how he managed to see the glory and presence of God in every part of his life.

In one of his letters, he wrote, “The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen…I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the blessed sacrament.” In one of the conversations documented within the book, he talks about how he sometimes resented the “times of prayer” that were required of him as a monk, simply because they distracted him from the time he was already spending with God. Imagine that…spending so much time in God’s presence that taking the time to engage in a “worship ritual” actually interrupts the relationship with God!

Is your relationship with God like that? There are times in my life when I feel like I’m really close to God, like my relationship with him couldn’t get any better. But, most of the time, I find myself having to schedule those “worship rituals” in order to feel that closeness with him that I need. I would love to have the kind of relationship with him that allows me to feel his presence all the time.

What is interesting to me is this: God DOES have that kind of a relationship with us. Think about it…he is always with us. He’s always in OUR presence. Besides that, he knows everything about us, even more than we know about ourselves. So, even when we fail to practice HIS presence, he is still practicing OURS!

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely, O Lord.

You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of dawn, if I settle by the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. (Psalm 139:1-10)

Isn’t that COOL?!?! Regardless of where we go and what we do, God still longs to be with us.

As you go through your day today, the beginning of a brand new week that God has given you, allow his presence to take over your life. It will be a change like none other you have experienced!

MAY GOD BLESS YOU TODAY!

--Eric G.

|