Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Importance of a Spiritual Legacy

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've recently gotten very passionate about leaving behind a Spiritual Legacy for my children. I'm not so concerned about the usual "legacy" stuff, like carrying on a name or a family business that can be passed down from generation to generation. The legacy that I'm concerned with involves passing down my faith. I want my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and even my great-great-grandchildren to be not only faithful believers, but people who live their lives for God, regardless of the circumstances.

I've had several people over the past few weeks ask me what got me started on this "spiritual legacy" thing. I was inspired by the following verses, found in Psalm 78:

"O my people, hear my teaching;
listen to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth in parables,
I will utter hidden things, things from of old--
what we have heard and known,
what our fathers have told us.
We will not hide them from their children;
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
his power, and the wonders he has done.
He decreed statutes for Jacob
and established the law in Israel,
which he commanded our forefathers
to teach their children,
so the next generation would know them,
even the children yet to be born,
and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God
and would not forget his deeds
but would keep his commands.
They would not be like their forefathers--
a stubborn and rebellious generation,
whose hearts were not loyal to God,
whose spirits were not faithful to him."--Psalm 78:1-8

I think it's interesting how the world's view of leaving behind a legacy involves trying to make our children be like us, while God's view of leaving behind a legacy involves leading our children to be different from us. I love what it says here in verses 7 and 8. Let me repeat those with emphasis added:

"Then they would put their trust in God
and would not forget his deeds
but would keep his commands.
They would not be like their forefathers--
a stubborn and rebellious generation
,
whose hearts were not loyal to God,
whose spirits were not faithful to him."

Here's my interpretation of these verses: God wants our children to be like him, not like us. It's not enough for me to try to live for God each day and set that example for my children. God wants me to point my children to him. He wants my children looking beyond the example I'm trying to set for them, and seeing the source--God himself. They need to learn to trust in him and have a relationship with him.

In other words, it's up to us who are parents to not only set an example for our kids, but we need to be teaching our kids about God and his word. This means being involved and interested in everything they do.

This also means putting off things that are important to me in order to be there for my children. I hate to admit it, but this is something that I struggle with.

I am a songwriter. I make CDs. I do concerts. I go on mission trips out of the country and do all sorts of things with my church. I spend a lot of time online trying to connect with listeners and potential supporters of my ministry. I run a recording studio in addition to having a full-time job. All of these things, especially the ministry-oriented ones, are very important to me. However, my children are more important. I have learned that I have to be willing to push some of these things aside in order to focus on helping my children establish their faith in God.

So what am I to do? Simple. It goes back to the old "J-O-Y" philosophy from the old days. You remember that, right? The hierarchy of service: Jesus, Others, then Yourself. The only way for me to establish a spiritual legacy for my children is to put them and the Lord first, myself and my interests second. It's what being a Christian parent is all about.

Until next time, God Bless!
--Eric G.
|